Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Hate Crime Research

I am starting up my research on hate crime locations off of the HRC hate crime report again,  I am hoping to finish all the Chicago location by the spring.

below is one of the articles but still need to find the location.  I will be documenting my progress on this blog.

Man gets 12 years for racial attack

A 28-year-old Northwest Side man, who intentionally ran over a black man two years ago with his sports utility vehicle after spitting on the victim and hurling racial insults, was sentenced Wednesday to 12 years in prison for the racially-motivated attack. Calling the assault "egregious" and claiming the driver used his car as a "deadly weapon," Cook County Circuit Judge Robert Bertucci sentenced Herberto A.. Pulgar to nine years for aggravated battery and three years for committing a hate crime. Before he was sentenced, Pulgar pleaded with the judge and insisted that he was not racist. "How can I be prejudiced when I'm Hispanic?" Pulgar asked. He went on to apologize for the crime, saying he wished he "could turn back time." Pulgar was convicted last month of deliberately running down Russell Johnson, a 36-year-old Northwest Side man. Russell suffered a broken leg and head injuries as a result of the attack.

Kristi King
Medill News Service
May 5 1999


 
 
I will continue to shot this series in a downward angle to invoke the crime scene photographs from the 1950's.

No comments:

Post a Comment